Saturday, January 20, 2007

Compass

As a kid, I liked compasses, and they were everywhere. They came with my meals, they were sold for a quarter in great big tubs, and sometimes there was a great big one stuck on the back of my favorite action figure. Why on his back, I would always wonder. I mean, wouldn't his chest make more sense? Maybe he knew he would only ever be lost with a buddy.
As I grew older, the compasses in my life slowly dissapeared. I no longer at the kid's meals, I spent my quarter on candy and treats, and lost the action figure. Now it seems you can't find a cheap, plastic compass anywhere. The shelves are devoid of them. Wal-Mart CSRs look at you like you're crazy when you ask for them.
It seems like my whole life is like that. At one point there was something good and simple that made me happy, but I took it for granted, and lost it. Not only did I lose it, but I forgot how to find it again. It seems that without the plastic compasses that broke in my pocket, that sometimes didn't point North, that were emblazzened with Beatleborg decals, I'm lost.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home